Thursday, May 9, 2013

DIY Pottery Barn Rope Chandelier

I love me some Pottery Barn.. especially their lighting! But I do not love their prices. So what's a girl to do? Obviously a DIY knock off project to get the look without the big price tag! And the perfect DIY to link up with The Happy Hour Inspiration Link Party and Serenity Now!

While flipping thru a recent PB catalog, I saw the Rope Chandelier with Jute Shades and it was love at first sight (until I saw the $299 price). Check out the views of it below. Beautiful right? I love the texture of the rope and how casual it feels! And don't even get me started on that table...



After a closer look at the pictures, the shape of the chandelier was almost identical to the builder basic one that we just took down in our dining room. I began to wonder if I could really just wrap rope around our old chandelier to make it look like the PB one? 


Supplies:
Old Chandelier
4 bags of Everbilt Manila Rope from HD
Glue Gun
Scissors
Embroidery Hoop
Chandelier Shades

Let me apologize in advance that there are hardly any pictures of how I did this... between the splinters from the rope and the burns from the glue gun, I just wanted to quickly finish off this project and busting out the camera would have really slowed me down.

This chandelier was gathering dust in the garage for a month or so before this project. I removed all of the glass shades and lightbulbs and then got to work. There was no real rhyme or reason to where I started or how I wrapped the rope. I put a dot of hot glue on the chandelier and just started wrapping....


And wrapping....


And wrapping.....


After 5 whole days of working on this project during naps and in the evenings, I was finished with the rope wrapping of the chandelier! Thankfully, the last step was so easy compared to the winding of the rope all around the curves of the chandelier. I took a wooden embroidery hoop, cut it down to fit the width of my chandelier, and then wrapped it with the rope too. I argued with myself on leaving the chandelier as is or adding the hoop but I think that the hoop really completes the look! I need a serious break from the hot glue gun but I love the way that it turned out!

I found 2 chandelier shade options to try. Hobby Lobby was up first. These were the right color but I did not like the pleating on them. Apologies on the night time picture but I was just so excited to get them on that I could not wait! You can't beat Hobby Lobby prices, it was $30 for all 5 of the shades.


Next it was the Lowe's option. These were a bit bigger and the right shape but stark white. They were marked down to $4.99 each so also a great deal at just under $30 for all 5. The Lowe's shades seem to be a better fit in my eyes. Although I am super annoyed with the clip on shades. Its a daily struggle to keep them straight! But I have never seen any other options. Have yall? I am thinking that if I keep the Lowe's ones I will give them a coat of paint in a more natural color. It was so easy for the DIY Painted shades that this would be a piece of cake for the tiny shades!


But in the meantime, here is the finished product for now...


And a quick side by side comparison with my inspiration image.

10 comments:

  1. Great job! I wish I would have seen this before I replaced my chandelier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Susan! I really love the way it turned out for just the cost of the rope and some nasty splinters and glue gun burns!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Great job. I bet that took awhile to do. I don't have the patience for projects like this but good for you. I actually like yours better than the PB one. I am hosting a link party if you want to link this up.

    http://www.ifitsnotbaroquedesignblog.blogspot.com/2013/05/tuesday-link-party-18.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!!! I only worked on it when the kids were sleeping so it wasn't too bad! I will def go link up :) thanks Lauren!

      Delete
  4. Wow, you did an awesome job on re-creating the PB version! And I totally admire your patience to do it! Pinning this to the DIY Board! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was easy to keep going bc I could see it looking more and more like the inspiration!

      Delete
  5. looks awesome! You did a great job! What a lot of work not to mention the burns and slivers-a labor of love, You labored and now we all love! Enjoy your gorgeous chandi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks much! The pain has now faded from my memory and I get to love looking at it everyday :) Thanks for stopping by Wanda!

      Delete
  6. You did a fantastic job. Would also look cute if you added a big ol oval crystal on the bottom of each arm. Let us know if you want a sample to try one out ��

    I think this chandelier crystal would be adorable and coastal chic looking

    ReplyDelete
  7. PVC Laminated Gypsum Ceiling Tiles are a stylish and practical solution for enhancing the look of any interior space. Made of high-quality gypsum board and laminated with PVC, these tiles offer superior sound absorption, moisture resistance, and easy maintenance. They are an ideal choice for commercial spaces, such as offices, hospitals, and schools, as well as residential spaces like kitchens and bathrooms. With easy installation and a variety of styles and colors, they are a perfect choice for any renovation project.

    ReplyDelete